Monday, June 10, 2013

'The Book of Phinn' by Frank Anjakos


THE BOOK OF PHINN
By
Frank Anjakos

BLURB:

Hey, Phinn here.

I'm an Angel. A 16 year old immortal. You don't know me. You've never seen me. Unless you're a dead teenager and you've been good and live in Southern California (narrows it down, huh?). If that's the case, we've probably met. See, I take the souls of good kids to Heaven, but I'm not allowed to interact with the living...which makes high school, being on the soccer team and writing for the school newspaper a little difficult. As an angel, I play by the rules.

My "arch-frenemy" Iszn, the demon who takes the bad kids to Hell, breaks all the rules...which is why he's one of the most popular kids in school. Iszn's hobbies are football, human girls, football, torturing me, football and evil....did I mention football?

Anyway, as an Angel I try not to have any direct contact with humans...well, that is until I met this girl. Actually, until she met me...it's kind of complicated. That's one of the reasons I write my blog...to let you guys in on a world you probably didn't even know existed...until it's too late, anyway.

But this world does exist, and it's about to get complicated. There are some deaths we can't explain and only Iszn and I seem to want to get to the bottom of them. It's going to cost us...a lot, but we can't let it go.

So ya, enjoy the blog...comment if you want. I read all the comments and try to respond. And don't let Iszn freak you out...to my knowledge, he's never actually eaten anyone's face.

Cya inside :)

Read an excerpt:
I know it’s been awhile since I posted. I’m having a hard time with what’s been going on over the last few days. Sorry I haven’t let you guys in on it.

I’m gonna try to get this all out in one post…

Sunday night I got home from the game, still a little worked up from the win and hanging around with Iszn who was on maximum jazz.

After posting on here, I changed my clothes and went for a run up the beach.

It’s odd how crowded the beach is during the day…especially on the weekends. It’s like everyone in the world is dying to spend a few hours lying in the sun, or walking in the ocean. But then, as soon as the sun goes down, especially on Sunday night, the place empties out like there’s a fire or something.

I didn’t see anyone my whole run. On my way back I got a call…A CALL.

I let the particulars hit me, and I nearly fell in the sand.

I popped out and reappeared in Ashley’s bedroom.

There she was, hanging from an electric cord tied to the rafter. She had just died…only seconds ago. I just stood there and stared…suddenly my knees gave out and I sunk to the floor. I looked down at my hands…they were shaking…shaking so hard that I couldn’t stop them. I stared at them, trying to will them into submission but it was no use. I tore my gaze away from them.

I’d never been in Ashley’s room before. It was painted shell white, and had blue shades and a blue bedspread. It reminded me of a beach house…though not the one I lived in. She even had shells and an old dead starfish in frames on the walls.

It didn’t suit her. Nothing about this scene suited her.

I looked around the room…looking for any excuse not to look at her. This was wrong…this whole thing, from the little box of sea sand to the dead girl hanging from the ceiling…it was all wrong.

I let my consciousness spread through the house. Her parents were in bed. Her dad was asleep and her mother was sitting up watching television. Her dog was outside, in the back, which was odd since they rarely let him out alone.

Then it hit me. I still had a job to do.

But she’s obviously been a suicide…A SUICIDE! I still couldn’t look at her body.

Iszn would be along any minute. I had to get her out of here before then. I couldn’t risk her going to Hell. I looked her over…as I expected, she was almost all light, too. Without the suicide there was no way she’d be a candidate for Hell. I couldn’t wait for her to figure it out. I also didn’t know if I could deal with her recognizing me just yet.

I went all out Angel. She’d only see a figure wrapped in golden light…she wouldn’t see her boyfriend.
Buy it on Amazon
 
AUTHOR INFORMATION:

Frank Anjakos lives in the Wild West, where he avoids writing about anything Western. Upon graduation from college in Michigan he was unwilling to get a real job, and so went to law school at the University of Arizona, where he studied listlessly, overcome by the desert heat, and obtained a law degree in the usual amount of time. After recovering from the stifling law school style of writing, he returned to his true passion, fiction…both writing and living it. Coerced by his son Finn, he turned away from adult science fiction and began writing children’s books. Now, if he could just get his son to actually read one.



Frank will be awarding a $25 Starbucks Gift Card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour, and a $25 Starbucks gift card to a randomly drawn host. Follow the tour for more chances to win!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Andrea! Sorry about the late post! I'm out of town in Los Angeles and I've been on the set of a movie since about 6am with a friend of mine who is a stuntman. The script writer for this movie has read Phinn and wants to talk about turning it into a script!!

    Anyway, thanks for promoting the book! This is my first published book and my very first book tour, so I'm pretty excited! I hope your readers enjoy it and ask any questions that come to mind. Ill check back all day, cuz actually filming a movie is kind of boring, haha!!

    Thanks again!!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea! Sorry about the late post! I'm out of town in Los Angeles and I've been on the set of a movie since about 6am with a friend of mine who is a stuntman. The script writer for this movie has read Phinn and wants to talk about turning it into a script!!

    Anyway, thanks for promoting the book! This is my first published book and my very first book tour, so I'm pretty excited! I hope your readers enjoy it and ask any questions that come to mind. Ill check back all day, cuz actually filming a movie is kind of boring, haha!!

    Thanks again!!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrea!

    Sorry for the late post!! I'm out in Los Angeles and I've been on the set of a movie since about 6am with a friend of mine who is a stunt man. The writer of this movie is actually interested in turning the Book of Phinn into a script!! So I'm pretty excited!!

    Anyway, thanks for promoting my book! This is my first published novel and my very first book tour! I hope your readers enjoy it and post any questions they might have. Ill check back regularly, cuz it turns out filming a movie can be pretty boring, haha!

    Thanks again!!

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice excerpt

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete